Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mmmm...pasta salad.

Every time I make this super simple pasta salad, I get asked for the recipe. It's my go-to for cookouts and when I have no other creative ideas and want to make something somewhat "impressive."

Here's the cast of characters: a big package of Buitoni fresh cheese-filled tortellini, Greek salad dressing, a small can of sliced black olives, 1/2 a small jar of roasted red peppers, 1/2 a pint of grape tomatoes, and a green onion.


Put a big pot of water on to boil.


Meanwhile, cut up the roasted red peppers into bite-sized pieces.


And cut the grape tomatoes in half.


Now, cut the green onion up (I use the whole thing, not just the green or white parts. The whole thing is so yummy.)


When the water boils, pour in the tortellini. Let it cook for a minute LESS than it says on the package (it'll be al dente that way, which is perfect for pasta salad).


While the pasta is cooking, drain the black olives and throw them in a big bowl.


Add the red pepper, tomatoes, and green onion.


When the tortellini is done, drain it and run cool water over it for a minute or so (again, I know, I know, it's a big no-no, but it stops the cooking process and cools the pasta down quickly). Pour the pasta on top of the veggies in the big bowl. *Side note: see the Bobby Flay grill pan in the background? DO NOT buy one. They just fill your house up with smoke and don't work that well.* *Another side note: see my iPhone in the background? DO buy one of those. They are amazing! I don't know how I would survive without it. Addicted much? Well, yes, yes I am!!*


Add about 1/4 of the bottle of Greek dressing (To taste. It may be more. It may be less).


Stir it all together, and then put it in the fridge for at least an hour to get it nice and cold before you dig in.

Now, let me say that this is the most versatile pasta salad EVER. Sometimes I add kalamata olives instead of black. Sometimes I add sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh. Sometimes I add artichoke hearts. Sometimes I add regular red or sweet onion instead of green (but I had this one fresh from the garden, so why not use it, right?). Sometimes I get crazy and buy the spinach and regular tortellini mix (green and white) instead of the regular (just white). Sometimes I add pepperoni. See? Very versatile! And, always yummy!

Now, let me ask you all this: what do you think I should add next time I make it? Any ideas?


5 comments:

Shannon said...

OMG! You are sooooo amazing! That does look really good. And I hate olives, but I would so eat them in that! Yum!!! I'm trying to remember how my mom makes pasta salad, and I can't. But I do know that she uses the "twisty" noodles. And I don't think she uses Greek dressing. Come to think of it, I don't think I've *ever* had Greek dressing!! ..I think she uses Italian.. ANYWAY. My mom thinks you're the cutest little cook ever. $5 says she'll be like, "I saw Brittany's recipe for pasta salad..." when I talk to her tomorrow ;] Hehe!! I also LOVE macaroni salad. With like cut up eggs and stuff. Anyway, cool beans!! Or shall I say.. COOL PASTA!!! ;]

Ps. I totally know what al dente means since I took gourmet cooking at WKU ;] Hehe.

Brittany said...

It's so easy. You should try it! It can't be harder than your homemade spaghetti sauce!

And, you must try Greek dressing. It's kind of like Italian, but a whole lot better.

If you don't like olives, you could always do cucumber or green pepper or something like that. I love olives, so I never have that problem!

I love that your mom reads my blog! So amazing! I feel very special! :)

P.S. I know what al dente means because I am obsessed with Food Network. I never use their recipes, I just steal their tips and words! Ha!

Shannon said...

I loooooove green pepper & cucumbers! Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Angel Borland said...

Yum!!!

Glad I found your blog : )

Joshua said...

Brittany it looks delicious! And just so you know, I ALWAYS run pasta for pasta salad or many other things under cold water. I hate mushy pasta. Also, I once saw Hubert Keller do it on tv and I figure his James Beard Life Time Achievement Designation speaks for itself. My only recommendation would be cook everything in your grill pan. :)