Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas.

Here is one of my favorites to make. You may remember me talking about it in this post. But, I thought I would put up my pictures and step-by-step instructions just to show how easy it is.

Cast of characters: 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese (pre-shredded or shred yourself, you decide. I'm in it for the ease of preparation), 1 rotisserie chicken, 2 containers tomatillo salsa verde (30-ish ounces total), 2o corn tortillas (soft taco size), a container of feta cheese, half a red onion, and cilantro (not pictured, sorry. I remembered it was in the recipe at about step 5, so I couldn't go back and take another "cast of characters" picture.). Oh, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.


Take your rotisserie chicken and pick off all the meat. Don't use the skin, just the meat. This is the most time consuming part (and, if you have an amazing husband, like I do, it takes half the time because he helped me).


Ta da! Chicken. About 3 cups or so.


Now, chop up the onion and put it in a plastic bag or tupperware container. You'll need it later.


Let's get started layering. Spread a 1/2 cup of salsa on the bottom.


Top with 4 tortillas (cut them up so they cover the salsa).


Top with a large handful of chicken.


Top with 1/2 cup or so of Monterey Jack cheese. (Don't touch the feta, yet.)


Top with another 1/2 cup of salsa.


Repeat the above process until you've run out of chicken. Finish that layer (top with cheese), then top with remaining tortillas, remaining salsa, and finally the remaining Monterey Jack cheese. Here's what it looks like:


Cover with aluminum foil, and put it in the oven for 30 minutes. Take off the aluminum foil after the 30 minutes and continue to bake, uncovered, for 15-20 more minutes.


When it's finished baking, sprinkle the onion, whole package of feta, and a large handful of chilantro (chopped) over the top. Mmmm...My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Now, I made this on Sunday night for the finale of LOST. I pre-made it then took over to my friend Jennifer's house to bake. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product (oops). So, here is the picture from Williams-Sonoma's website. Here's the recipe, as well.


Enjoy! It's so good and easy. I promise you won't be disappointed!


4 comments:

Shannon said...

I've never had Feta cheese in my life! Is that what they use in Mexican restaurants? If so, I *have* had it, I just didn't know it :) That does look super easy. We love Mexicanish dishes 'round these parts!! And also, I've never bought green salsa before! However, I do love the green salsa at Moe's :) YUMMY!

Brittany said...

They actually use queso aƱejo or queso blanco. But, because I live in Podunk(-ish), KY, I can never find either of those. So, I substitute feta (because that's what Williams-Sonoma tells me to do, and I listen to them).

Anyway, you NEED to go out right now and buy some feta. I'm serious. (And don't worry, because it is pasteurized. :) I know you pregnant ladies aren't supposed to have unpasteurized cheese.) Buy some lettuce, feta, tomatoes, cucumber and some Greek dressing and make yourself a big Greek salad. Or, go to a Greek restaurant because they use it all the time! :)

Adventures of a Type A said...

In case you didn't know I follow your blog daily and get disappointed when you don't stick to your writing schedule, you have been doing really good though. I have all these ingredients at home and think I will make this tomorrow night. John makes a breakfast burrito every morning so I will have to give him some warning so he isn't tortilla sick by the end of the day. I have also fallen in love with salsa verde and feta but since I am out of feta I am going to try to use some goat cheese we have left, I will let you know if that was a mistake.

Anonymous said...

wow this does sound good. it was an adjustment getting used to corn tortillas cause thats all that jorge and his family eats, but i would love this. we love queso fresco, the salsa verde is amazing, and we would probably top it with crema... look at me talkin all spanish for sour cream hahaha... i need to teach you some of the recipes that i have learned. you would love them!

jessie