Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bugs...

I am not a big fan of bugs. Especially mosquitoes. But they sure seem to love me. I am also not a big fan of bug spray. It leaves me feeling sticky and medicated. I know that it's poison that I'm spraying on my body and that does NOT thrill me at all. :/

John David and I are big fans of being outside, especially in the summer. I mean, I can't garden, bike ride, have cookouts, lay in the hammock, go to the park, or play disc golf INSIDE, can I?

So, this is the latest homemade item I'm going to try: all-natural bug spray that I can make at my house. Yay! I found this amazing site that has numerous ideas, which I'm going to list below, but I want to know what you all think. Which one should I make? Please comment and let me know. Or, if you have any of your own suggestions, I'm up for those, too! :)

  • Blend of essential oils:
    1. Mix the following essential oils in a 4 oz. container: 20 drops Eucalyptus oil, 20 drops Cedarwood oil, 10 drops Tea Tree oil, and 10 drops Geranium oil.
    2. Add 2 oz. of a carrier oil (such as Jojoba). Mix well.

  • Mint-based bug spray:
    1. Place 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of either catnip, spearmint, or pennyroyal (all in the mint family) in a spray bottle.
    2. Add 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol and 1 cup of water.
    3. Shake well.

  • Herbal insect repellent safe for use on the face:
    1. Blend 4 drops each of sandalwood, cajeput, and lavender essential oils with 2 teaspoons of carrier oil (such as extra virgin olive oil).
    2. Mix well and apply as needed.

  • Vodka Mist Insect Repellent:
    1. Mix the following in a spray bottle: 50 drops Jojoba, 50 drops Lavender, 25 drops Eucalyptus lemon, 25 drops Lemongrass, 25 drops Patchouli, and 25 drops Catjeput.
    2. Add 1 fluid ounce of vodka.
    3. Mix well.
    4. Apply jojoba oil before spraying the repellent on the skin.

  • Natural insect repellent lotion:
    1. Place 2 ounces distilled water in a large mixing bowl.
    2. Slowly drizzle in 2 ounces of olive oil while beating quickly with a wire whisk.
    3. After the oil is mixed into the distilled water, stir in 120 drops of citronella essential oil.
Of course, after you all help me decide, I'll post pictures and such of the process of making it and updates after I use it to let you know how well it keeps those gross bugs away!


2 comments:

Jordan said...

Those are great ideas! If you find the best one, let me know! I hate bug spray too and usually don't use it. I'll get eat up some but never too bad. I am worried about Charlotte though and her fair baby skin. The idea of putting bug spray on her is even worse than myself, but it looks like most if not all of these would be safe to use on her! Thanks!

Adventures of a Type A said...

I feel like several of these will lead you to break out city if you have sensitive skin. I would definitely do a trial on a small part of your body before you totally lather up. I am also nervous that these scents will attract even more bugs. Could you just carry around a citranela (?) candle with you?