Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Family (aka the post where I include lots of links)

If you know me very well, you know that I have had a very hard time since my parents moved up to Dayton, Ohio. I mean, when they moved to Nashville, Tennessee, I had a hard enough time, and that is only 1 hour away. :/ But, this weekend, John David and I took advantage of the extra day off and went to visit my wonderful mom and dad. We had such a fabulous weekend and now it kind of feels like a part of me is missing since we came home last night. It sucks. I wish we lived closer, but such is life, I guess. :(

Ok, enough with the sad part. Dayton is amazing! Really. I mean, you wouldn't THINK it would be, but it really has a lot of culture and community and art and beauty. I could really live there.

Saturday we explored the area. We went to a great pancake place for breakfast, explored the 2nd Street Market (and let me just say that it's a good thing we had just eaten, because each of the 40 vendors had free samples...I would have eaten myself sick), went thrifting/antiquing in a small town outside Dayton called Waynesville, went to a Kroger Marketplace (SO jealous we don't have one of those...they're like a Whole Foods and Wegmans wrapped into one), went to an amazing Thai restaurant in an area of the city called the Oregon District (which is, coincidentally, where I would love to move, raise my children and grow old with my amazing husband because the area is just so freaking cool!), and got ice cream at Young's outside Yellow Springs (which is the coolest hippie-town ever). And, that was just Saturday. Yes, my family likes good food. I ate too much this weekend, but I don't even care.

Sunday, my dad made breakfast, then we played disc golf, saw my grandparents and ate dinner at a local burger joint.

Monday, shopping at Cincinnati Premium Outlets and The Greene, lunch at Brio (which was so authentic we decided we're going to take trip to Italy as a family next year), and just relaxing at mom and dad's house before we had to head home.

I didn't take many pictures (sorry), but here are a few from the weekend:


Would you ever want to leave Dayton if this is what it looked like every morning when you walked out the back door? The pond is so peaceful. Mom and Dad's place is amazing. It has so many flowers and gardens that it's not even funny. And, Mom and Dad have completely redone the inside of the house (I mean, everything: the floors, new paint, new kitchen, new bathrooms) and it looks brand new! Next time we're up there (which will be very soon), I will get more pictures of the house, inside and out!


Dad is going to make me one of these greenhouses out of old windows. Isn't it so neat? We found it in Waynesville when we were antique shopping (but if you think I'm paying $120 for it, you're crazy).

And, there was this amazing antique/consignment/thrift store that had two huge sections of mid-century-modern kitchenware. I resisted the urge to buy anything, but I sure did take pictures. I want that set of green and yellow polka-dot glasses in the top right corner, but once again, I'm not going to pay $50 for 6 glasses. Maybe they'll go on "sale." Ha!


Well, there you go. Basically this is what it boils down to: We had an amazing weekend. My parents' new house is awesome. Dayton is surprisingly wonderful. I love my family so much and miss them more than you know!

9 comments:

Magen said...

you found my secret antiquing spot in Waynesville! My aunt lives a few minutes from that place, and my aunt used to sell her hand-made jewelry at a shop there. I have so much stuff from that place, & still have an old window I haven't figured out what I want to use it for though, too cheap to pass up. That's great you like old things too! Family always definitely adds more to life. Glad you enjoyed your long weekend!

Mitch Henson said...

comment.

td shoemaker said...

word verification:

ingful

Brittany said...

Mitch and Terry,

HA! Very funny.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Ha.

Shannon said...

heeeey, there's an Air Force base in Dayton!! Maybe we can get there someday! :) I had no idea that it was such a cool city! How long was the drive from BG to Dayton!? I'm always daydreaming about being stationed closer to home. I hope I hope I hope! My mom has one of those bowls in the pictures :) One of the "ugly" green colors. Hehe!!

Shannon said...

I just looked closer, and she has some little cups from that place too!! Neat!

Brittany said...

It's about 4-4 1/2 hours from Bowling Green. I haven't been to the Air Force Base, but my parents have been to the huge air museum that's on base and they loved it! It IS really neat. I was very surprised because I always thought Ohio was boring, but Dayton is fun! Maybe you WILL be based there! Or, someplace in Europe or tropical would be fun! I mean, if you're going to be on base somewhere, it might as well be a cool place... :)

Nancy said...

Love your blog...recipes, gardening, home brews, and now Dayton! Lived there for a couple of summers while in college. Loved that it had an international airport...simply because it was home of the Wright Brothers.
Nancy

Justin Guest said...

I went to school in Cedarville (bleh) which is very close to Dayton so we used to go there frequently. It is such a neat city. And I love Yellow Springs too! We used to play disc golf there a lot.

Enjoying your blog!