Friday, June 4, 2010

Laundry Detergent

Okay, so last night, it was that time again. Time to make my own laundry detergent. So, I thought I'd share how I make it. It's super easy.

First, you start with washing soda, borax, and a bar of soap.


And, a 5 gallon bucket (at least, that's what we use)!


Start by grating the soap (and then, if you have a wonderful husband like I do, let him take over).


While he is grating the soap, put 4 cups of water on the stove and let it get hot, but not boiling (believe me, I let it boil one time and there were suds everywhere!!).


While that's getting hot, pour in 1/2 cup of borax into the 5 gallon bucket.


And, 1 cup of washing soda.


Meanwhile, John David has almost finished grating the soap.


Add the soap one handful at a time to the hot water and stir til it dissolves.


It gets nice and soapy.


This is what it looks like after all the soap has been added and dissolves.


Add the soap to the washing soda and borax in the 5 gallon bucket.


Now add 3 gallons of hot water straight from your faucet.


Stir (with a big paint stirrer in our case).


And, voila! You're done! It is 1 cup per load, just buy a cheap measuring cup or something. And, stir it a few times after you've made it (in the hours following) because it helps the detergent not clump.


On another note: we have vegetables in our garden! We have squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce (which we've already used in 3 meals this week) and will have peas, beans and peppers soon. Yay! I'll post pictures on Sunday because I forgot to take them today (oops).

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: