Thursday, June 24, 2010

Veggie-Stuffed Bread and Grilled Sweet Potatoes

Ok. I've been slacking on my food posts. I'll admit it. But, today I am featuring two recipes, so it *kinda* makes up for it. Today, I present: Veggie-Stuffed Bread and Grilled Sweet Potatoes.


Cast of Characters (first picture): Any veggies I had in the garden (beans, squash, and jalapeno pepper), onion (not from the garden), and frozen bread dough.


You set a loaf of the frozen dough in an oil-drenched bowl in the morning, put some more oil on the top of the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and put in the microwave. Don't turn the microwave on, it's just a safe place for the dough to rise because there aren't any drafts in there. And, voila, your dough will rise and be ready by the time you start cooking dinner.


Cast of characters (second picture because I was making this recipe up as I went along): same veggies, balsamic vinegar, a pizza seasoning grinder (if you don't have one of these, run, don't walk, to your nearest Kroger and pick one up because they're amazing!), and shredded cheese.



Ok, one down, one to go. Cast of Characters for sweet potatoes: sweet potatoes, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and aluminum foil (not pictured).


Peel the sweet potatoes.


Chop the sweet potatoes.


It's kind of hard to do, so just do it whatever way is easiest for you. I have to almost throw all my weight down on the knife to be able to cut through the potato, but, trust me, it's so worth it!


Cut off a long piece of aluminum foil. Cut up two tablespoons of butter and lay them down on the foil.


Top with chopped sweet potatoes and about two handfuls of brown sugar.


Sprinkle with about one or two teaspoons of cinnamon.


Top with about two more tablespoons of butter, all cut up.


Fold into a packet (make sure it's completely closed and that there aren't any open areas). It's ready for the grill! Put on the grill for about 45 minutes.


While the potatoes are cooking, get your very handsome husband to trim the green beans for you (or you can do them yourself, whatever works). :)


Chop all your veggies (not pictured, sorry), and saute them on the stove until they're soft and starting to brown a little.


Add TONS of the pizza seasoning and some fresh basil. Also, add some balsamic vinegar (not pictured, once again, because I was making this up as I went along).


Get your dough ready by separating it and forming it into four circles. Side note: I worked with mine too much, so it didn't want to stick together. Don't do that! Next time, I'll know!


Top with sauteed veggies.


Add some cheese.

Fold over into little rolls. Really push the seams together (again, because I worked with mine too much, it did not work very well for me).


Put them on a cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

There you go!

I will not change anything on my sweet potatoes, but next time, I will add some pesto or tomato sauce or white sauce to my veggie bread. It was good, but needed something. So, you may want to try experimenting, too. Let me know what you come up with!

Happy grilling/cooking!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

you're so creative! pizza seasoning? I've never even heard of that! Mark has been wanting to make homemade pizza for quite some time now, but I have no idea how to do it. And I don't know if it would just be cheaper to get the Digiorno ones. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for that seasoning though. Do you use it on anything else besides pizza?!

Brittany said...

I use it on everything I can! Pasta, all my veggies, my potato bundles, salad, and of course, pizza dough.

You could EASILY make a pizza with that frozen dough I used to make the veggie bread. Just thaw it and let it rise, then pat it into a pizza crust. I would probably cook it for about 10 minutes or so before I put the toppings on, then I would continue cooking it for about 15 minutes more.

Oh, just you wait. I'm going to post on grilled pizzas. They are so good! Our favorite is the buffalo chicken pizza!

Shannon said...

-pause-

who ARE you!?!?

you're SOOO.. crafty?! and organic?! and healthy!? and a great cook!??! wow. I yearn to be you!!!

where do you even buy that dough? I've no idea :\ My mom buys these dough things that come 2 to a pack, but I've never, ever bought dough. I feel like such a newbie to all of this!! :\

Brittany said...

Shannon,

Lol. I'm just really an impostor. I get all my ideas from other people. :)

You get the frozen dough in the frozen bread section at the grocery. I buy the Kroger brand, and I think it was $3.50 or so for 5 loaves. It was my first time using it, and I was really, really impressed.

Thank you so much for the compliments. They make my day! Even if I am a fake!

Diana said...

John and I tried your sweet potatoe grill packet recipe this weekend, I usually don't like sweet potatoes but since they are so good for you I decided to try it out. It was a great success. They were super soft and delicious. Maybe next time I will even throw a few marshmellows on top, it will be just like Thanksgiving!