Friday, June 18, 2010

My Week...

Has been absolutely wonderful. My mom and I have spent tons of time together. We went to Nashville, shopped, ate delicious foods and just enjoyed spending the week together. The ONLY negative (well, besides her leaving today) is that Wonders on Woodland was closed when we got there. Apparently, it's only open Thursday through Saturday.

Last night, we grilled out and I made sweet potato packets that were so good (if I do say so myself)! I also grilled squash and green beans from the garden, and mom made refrigerator pickles.

Garden update: I WOULD take pictures, but, really, it just looks like a field of green because I planted everything way too close together. It's like a jungle when I go to get any veggies. My squash has overtaken my beans, and my cucumbers have overtaken my peas. Oh well. Veggie count so far: 14 squash (yikes), 6 cucumbers, and about 30 or so beans. Still waiting on my tomatoes. I literally have about 50 growing on my plants, but none are ripe yet.

Pictures soon. I promise.

Sorry, again, for my slacking in blog posting.

Mom, I love you and miss you already. I wish you were down here all the time, but the fact that you live so far away makes me really treasure the time we spend together. Thanks for all the meals and everything you bought for me (you really shouldn't spoil me). Can't wait to see you soon! Love you so much!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Your garden sounds so divine. I wish I had something like that. I can't imagine how much money you'll be saving by the end of it all. It's really just amazing. Tomatoes are SO expensive right now. Well, *everything* healthy is expensive in stores :\ I bet your husband is so proud of you :)

Brittany said...

I know, how ridiculously priced is ANYTHING that is the least bit healthy? It makes me mad! We have a completely organic garden, and I think the total we spent on everything was around $50. (Granted, we borrowed a rototiller) And, we're going to have so many fresh veggies and fruit that it's not even funny. I mean, the amount of basil alone that we have will make enough for a year's worth of pesto, which would be more than $50 (at least, the amount we go through) if I bought it in the store (it's around $4 for a tiny container).

And, while I do the majority of weeding and picking of vegetables now, JD tilled the whole thing and helped me plant and weed early on. Plus, he tied up all our tomato plants (that are now 6 feet tall). All that to say, I think he has inherited his mother's green thumb because normally everything I touch dies. So, I am pretty sure that he is the one that has made the garden grow so well. Well, him and the rain and the absinthe botanicals he tilled in before we planted. :)