Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Antipasto-Style Penne

So, this is the cast of characters from this recipe I made on Sunday for ekklesia. It looked very yummy (this was my first time making it), but I did decide to tweak the recipe a little. The ingredients are: parmesan cheese, a jar of roasted red peppers, pepperoni, a jar of chopped kalamata olives, a jar of marinated artichoke hearts, a small package of pine nuts, a box of penne pasta, and that stuff in the glad ware back in the back is what was left of my homemade pesto from last summer. (Speaking of, now that I've used it all, I can't wait to make more!)

Boil a big pot of water. I never measure the water. I just fill it about 2/3 of the way up. Now, after the water has begun to boil and before you put the pasta in, make sure you salt it heavily (I always do because the people on Food Network say to and so I listen to them...).

Pour the whole box of penne in, stir it and let it boil away for about 12 minutes (directions on package).

While that's cooking away, you can get the toppings ready. Drain the olives, roasted red pepper, and artichokes.

Cut your pepperoni into quarters. I used about 1/3 or so of a cup.

Put your pepperoni and pesto (about 3/4 cup) in a large bowl.

Chop your olives (not pictured because I bought already chopped ones), artichoke hearts, and roasted red pepper.

Then (well, if you're like me and all the chopping and draining took you about 12 minutes), drain the pasta and pour it in the big bowl with the pepperoni and pesto. Ok, I have to admit that I rinsed my pasta with cold water which I KNOW is a big no-no, but I was going to serve the pasta cold, and I was running out of time...

Add in the olives, roasted red pepper, and artichoke hearts. Toss everything together so it's all coated with the pesto.

Ok, here's the part where I tested it and decided it needed *something.* I remembered that my amazing Italian aunt (who is one of the best cooks I know) puts balsamic vinegar with her pesto. So, I added a tablespoon or so to mine. Thanks, Aunt Jackie, because it was PERFECT!

Then I grated about a 1/3 of a cup of fresh parmesan on top and tossed it in. I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and popped it in the fridge.

While the pasta was getting nice and cold in the fridge, I toasted the pine nuts in the oven (400 degrees for about 7 or so minutes). Brings out the natural oils and such (blah, blah, blah...again, Food Network tells me to do so!)

I took the pasta out of the fridge and topped it with the pine nuts. There you go! It was SO good. Believe me. And, the balsamic really, really added a lot to it! Calories: 404 per serving (this is about 8 or so servings). Not bad for pasta, huh?

1 comment:

Christy said...

That looks freakin yummy! I wish I had been there to try it!