Friday, April 16, 2010

Gardening 101

So, here it is, the first post of my "gardening" series. : ) When I began thinking about my garden, I was convinced that I wanted to start all my plants from seed in our house. I was sure all my plants would grow beautiful and huge. Uh, NOT the case (And, it's not because my seeds are duds, because they're not. One of my best friends split the seeds with me, and her starter plants are amazing!). So, here are a couple pictures of my failed attempt at starting plants in our house.

Here you will see...nothing. That's right. Oh, we had some little plants in there, but they were all leggy and thin and when I tried adding more soil around their measly little stems, they died. So, now there is nothing. Nothing.

I know what you might be saying: "Look, there are some plants!" And, yes you would be correct. There are some little plants. However, they sprung up rather quickly after I planted them, and this is all they've grown. Poor little pepper plants. I don't think they stand a chance.

So, even after no luck with our starters, we are still going to attempt to have a garden. My wonderful husband was outside all afternoon tilling, hoeing, and getting our little plot ready for when I got off of work. Then, when I got home, I threw on my "gardening" garb and planted peas, bush beans, yellow squash, pickling cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, melon and cilantro (all heirloom, no genetic mutations or cross-breeding for our veggies), from seed. We still have tomatoes (San Marzano roma and cherry), peppers (habanero and red bell), basil, and some other herbs to plant. But, I have to wait until after Derby Day to plant all of those because they will be plants, not seeds. JD and I took some pictures from start to finish (for now)...enjoy!

Before.

After our little spot had been tilled (by my amazing husband).

A closer view.

And, me planting all our soon-to-be veggies.

Geez, I sure do hope that they live...Otherwise I'd have nothing to write about on Fridays!


6 comments:

Shannon said...

Um, oh my word. You actually have a GARDEN. When you said "garden," I thought you meant like a little patch in a corner of the yard. I didn't know you meant like.. a REAL GARDEN! That looks amazing!!!! I'm so.. *sniff*.. jealous. I would love to grow all those fresh, delicious vegetables! It will be so exciting and rewarding to "pluck" them off the vine and eat them! And know that they are truly healthy and fresh! Ahh.. it will be great!

JPoling said...

Brittany....the garden looks amazing! Who would have ever thought this is how you would end up? I still think of you as high school Brittany who did not seem to interested in heirloom varieties of vegetables. Ha ha. Seriously though, the garden looks awesome and I am excited about this blog now!

I too am entering the world of gardening but all of my stuff is in buckets. I planted Romas, Serranos, Jalepenos, Cubanelles, Cilantro, Parsley, Basil, Chives, Oregano, some onions, and a variety of tomato engineered for container gardening. I also cheated and used plants, but simply because I do not have the time to mess with seeds, but am jealous of your potential harvest (especially the San Marzanos)

Anyway hope all goes will with everything and I will try to leave comments because I know how encouraging it is as a blogger to have a reader post comments. When the season hits we should all cook a meal together from our gardens. How fun! Who would have ever thought years ago this is what you and I would be talking about now! Keep writing.

Brittany said...

Shannon, I know, right? I feel like such an adult! :) I'm REALLY enjoying this whole blogging thing. Thanks for being my biggest push to do it!

Josh, it is amazing hearing from you! Thanks so much for the comment!!! I definitely think we should get together this summer and cook with our fresh veggies. Well, maybe you can give me some great recipes and teach me some knife skills since you're a chef now and everything.

I'm planning on making some great salsa with my San Marzanos. Actually, my goal is to make the salsa with only ingredients grown in our garden and from the farmer's market!

And, I'm very relieved that I'm not the same person I was in high school. High school me wouldn't even be able to begin to imagine "grown-up" me. Hope to see you soon! I am so glad, again, that you commented!

Shannon said...

What? You're making your own salsa now? When that day comes, remember to photograph it and blog it :) Yum!

Brittany said...

Oh yes I am! Me and one of my best friends, Dacia, will make and can some this summer. And we'll make some strawberry jam, too, from our strawberry patches! I will make sure to blog about it all! Man, this is fun! : )

Christy said...

I'm definitely loving the Header that you ended up choosing! Delightful! You are so creative. Can't wait to read your blog :)