Friday, July 9, 2010

Dill Pickles, Sweet Pickles and Salsa...Oh My!

So, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I made dill pickles. They had to "age" about 10 days before we could eat them, and let me tell you, they are absolutely delicious!

After I went to Kroger last night, I was feeling especially brave (not to mention completely overwhelmed at the number of tomatoes and cucumbers I had filling up my tiny kitchen) so I made both sweet pickles and salsa.

I haven't tried the sweet pickles (they will be ready tonight), and the salsa was WAY too hot (in my opinion because I like mild to medium salsa), but it still tasted good. If you don't mind searing heat on your tongue. :)

Recipes are as follows:

Dill Pickles

Sweet Pickles:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon tumeric
1 tablespoon mustard seed
6 cups sliced cucumbers

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes.

Pack the sliced cucumbers into jars, pour vinegar mixture over the cucumbers evenly so there's the same amount in each jar. Put the lids on and store in refrigerator. Ready to eat in 1 day (I hope).

Salsa:

5 or so San Marzano tomatoes (or romas or regular or a bunch of cherries...whatever you like)
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
1 onion (I used Vidalia)
2 jalapenos with seeds (if you want it really spicy). 1 jalapeno with or without seeds (depending on how spicy you want it).
Juice of 1 lime.
Handful of cilantro.
2 teaspoons or so of salt (once again, to taste).

Put it all in your food processor and pulse until the desired consistency.

I will DEFINITELY use this recipe again (considering I made it up...but I'm not bragging or anything).

There you go. No pictures because my camera's batteries are dead, and I had NONE in my house. Probably should have picked some up at the grocery. Oh well...

Have a great weekend!


2 comments:

Shannon said...

Oooh! My grandma used to make sweet pickles a long time ago when I was teeny, and I loved them! I haven't had sweet pickles in SOOO long!!! You're so.. earthy? That's an odd word to use. But you seem like such a great wife! I bet your husband really loves the yummy food you prepare for him :) :) It all sounds so delicious! I noticed on facebook the other day that you got a food processor (or was it a blender? I forget) so I see you're putting it to good use! How fun!!

Christy said...

Ever had pickled tomatoes? They are pretty good too. Bet you could make 'em.