Monday, August 2, 2010

My (Hopefully) Mid-Century Modern Home

John David and I have been renters since we got married. We first lived in an apartment then moved into the house we're in after the first year. Now, don't get me wrong, we love the house we live in now, but it's just not *ours.* You know what I mean?

Anyway, we have been talking for awhile now about trying to find a house. I want a mid-century modern ranch, of course, but, really, we'd be happy with anything we can find. There are a few things, however, that we're NOT looking for:

1) A new house. We believe in recycling (for lack of a better word) houses that are already built.
2) A house in a subdivision. Enough said.
3) A house not in town. Downtown Bowling Green has so much going on (ha!), and we want to be in the middle of it.
4) A "starter" house. John David doesn't really understand this, either. I want a house that we could (if needed and wanted) grow old in. I don't buy into that belief of the "American Dream" where I need a bigger house each year because a house with three bedrooms and two bathrooms just *isn't big enough.* I mean, really, there are families of 5 or 6 or more that live in a one-room home. Why do I think that I need two family rooms and a huge kitchen and a bonus room and a formal dining room? That's just too much. Really.

Well, that's about it. I'll keep you posted on how the search is going. Really, I'm hoping we can find a nice house that we can do repairs on so we can make it like we want it. And, I'm hoping it's nice enough so that John David won't bring up building a container house again. ;)

Happy Monday!!!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

There are some houses for sale around us. It's a great area! :)